“ Take a seat, either in a chair or on the floor in the lotus (or modified) position:
1. Align your body and don’t lean forward, back or to either side.
2. Make sure the back of your neck is straight and slightly lifted without causing any unnecessary strain.
3. Take a few minutes to reconnect your body and mind. See if you can begin relaxing any tensions you notice in your body.
4. Close your eyes and breathe gently.
5. Imagine you are in your favourite place. If you don’t have one, you could imagine you are in a beautiful, peaceful garden sitting in a cosy chair during a sunny, bright and warm day.
6. You can hear birds singing and trees swaying. Your surroundings are peaceful and calm.
7. Flowers are all around. Take note of the colours and allow them to relax you deeper and deeper. As you inhale their delightful fragrance, feel all of your muscles start to let go.
8. Relax your face and your forehead, especially your jaw. Let your teeth part just a little bit and let your tongue rest of its own accord.
9. Imagine your eyelids feel so heavy, so relaxed.
10. You can feel warmth from the sun on your neck and shoulders melting away any tension or tight areas. You find yourself relaxing more and more as you get warmer and warmer.
11. Feel the deep, relaxing warmth spreading down to your back, then down your lower back, which begins to feel nice and cosy.
12. Maybe you haven’t felt this relaxed for a long time. You don’t need to go anywhere. You don’t need to do anything. You simply feel like relaxing deeper and deeper, deeper and deeper.
13. The warm relaxing feeling next moves into your arms right down to your fingertips. Your arms get heavy and as you become more and more comfortable, they get heavier and heavier.
14. As you inhale, your chest muscles relax. As you exhale, let your stomach muscles relax. Let go of all the muscles in your stomach. Take deep breaths and just allow yourself to relax more and more with every breath.
15. Allow this relaxation to spread down into your legs. Down and down it descends into the tips of your toes. Your legs feel lighter and lighter, more and more relaxed.
16. Your whole body feels comfortable and easy. Just stay in this space for as long as you like.
See your smiling self in the middle of your heart, protected, safe and loved.” Dr Mirella.